On the Renewal of the Monasticism
"Yet there still is a grand task to accomplish: restoration of the ancient Eastern monasticism. For the ancient Eastern monasticism is nothing else but the monastic rank, as it was in the time of St. Benedict... Restoration of this ancient monasticism can be considered one of the main prerequisites for uniting the East..." “The renewal of the monastic life according to the ancient Studite statute in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church” is considered to be Sheptytsky’s most prominent achievement in this sphere. "Sheptytsky took care of the first monastic communities of the Studite tradition, providing organizational and financial assistance. Andrey Sheptytsky and Clement Sheptytsky had been refining the text of "Typikon" for a long while, and finished its final edition in 1937. On August 37, 1924, Sheptytsky established the Women's Foundation of the Studite Sisters in Yakovar. In addition, there also were an orphanage for infants and preschoolers, as well as a cemetery. Metropolitan Sheptytsky considered it necessary to enrich the spiritual life of his Church through the experiences and achievements of monastic congregations, known throughout the Catholic world. Establishing a cooperation with the Redemptorists turned out to be the quickest way to realize this goal. In May 1913, the leaders of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer collaborated with the Metropolitan and produced a special document agreeing to the Ministry of the Redemptorist monks in the Byzantine Rite, as well as on creation of the “Eastern branch” of this congregation. During the interwar period, the Eastern branch was established in the Congregation of St. Francis Salsky – the Salesians. In the 1930's, the Metropolitan directed young Greek Catholics to study at Salesian educational institutions. Metropolitan Sheptytsky believed that only mutual enrichment and understanding of various rites could form the future of both the Greek Catholic Church and the Ecumenical Church.